PF stands for Provident Fund wherein a particular ratio of an employee’s salary is contributed towards a corpus which he can use either in times of need or after his retirement when he is old. This contribution is made at a regular interval, mostly on a monthly basis with the aim of making an employee habitual of a monthly saving. This saving is also made mandatory by the Government of India. The contribution thus made is not only from the employee’s side but also the employer and gets automatically deducted from the monthly salaries of the employee.
This policy came into being in the year 1952 and is governed by the Employee Provident Fund Organization. Ministry of Labor and Employment have also launched an online portal of EPFO wherein the members can now check the EPF balance as well as request for withdrawals and transfers. The government of India has surely made certain commendable efforts in the PF policies and procedures for the employees and this surely is a big relief to the employees and employers alike.
What are various methods to check your EPF Balance?
The method to check the PF account balance and also generate the statements thereof is very easy and trouble free. For most of the cases you need to have your UAN activated and also KYC enabled. The various methods you can use to check your EPF balance are as under:
- Missed call service
- EPF portal
- EPF mobile app
- Official website of EPF
- Member Portal
- UAN portal
All of these are explained as under:
If your UAN is connected KYC linked, you only need to send the below mentioned message to 7738299899.
The format of the message is – Type EPFPHO <UAN> ENG
Please note ENG means English. These are the first three alphabets of your preferred language. Therefore in case, you want to receive the update in Hindi you must type HIN. The complete message would be EPFPHO <UAN> HIN. The language facility is offered in Hindi, English, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Telegu, Malayalam, Kannada and Bengali.
Missed call service
In case your UAN (Universal Account Number) is KYC linked, you need to give a missed call to the number – 011-22901406 – from your registered mobile number. You will now receive a text message with all your PF details.
To check the EPF balance through the EPF Portal, make sure that your UAN is activated. If it is not activated, you can take the help of your employer for the same. Follow the below mentioned steps in case you have your UAN Activated:
- Visit the EPFO portal – http://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/For_Employees.php?id=sm2_index
- Go to “Our Services” and Choose “For Employees”
- Find the “Services” tab and hit “Member Passbook”
- You now need to log in and access your PF account using your credentials.
- You can also download and save the passbook for future reference.
EPF mobile app
There are number of Mobile applications which you can use to check your PF balance. But again the only condition being the activated UAN. The two majorly used Apps for the same are:
- M-Sewa App
- Umang App
- Download this Applications from Google Play Store as it is still unavailable on iOS.
- After you have downloaded this app click on “Member” and then “Balance/Passbook”
- Fill in your UAN details and the registered contact details.
- The details will automatically be verified against the UAN. In case they do not match, the members will get an error message and in case they match, the members can check their up to date Balance of PF.
It is noteworthy that this App is recently launched and acts like an umbrella for all the services offered by the government such as Gas booking, Aadhaar card, EPF, NPS and Crop Insurance. To download and set up UMANG app, you can also follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the official website of EPFO and click on the link for UMANG app download https://web.umang.gov.in
- You need to enable your location, data, calls and SMS service to proceed.
- You can now “download app”.
- You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number which you need to enter.
- Also additionally, answer two security questions.
- Next step is to link your Aadhaar card.
- Once it is done your KYC details will then be automatically integrated into the app.
- You can now, check your PF balance as well as carry out various other EPF processes through this UMANG app.
How to check your PF Balance through the UMANG App?
- On the UMANG app homepage you need to click on the “EPFO” option.
- Select the ‘Employee Centric Services’ option.
- Feed in your UAN.
- You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number which you need to enter.
- In the EPFO section, click on “view passbook”.
- The UMANG app will now display your PF account balance.
Official website of EPF
The members don’t need to visit their regional EPF Office. Check the balance online easily on the official website of EPF on the website – http://www.epfindia.gov.in/
- Enter the details of your account’s PF office.
- Enter other details such as full name, verified contact number and the PF number. You can easily find the PF number in your salary slip, if it is not there you can contact your HR department for the same.
- Once all the details are filled, click on “Submit”
- You will now receive your PF balance through SMS on your registered contact number.
- You can also download your PF passbook by clicking on the link “download EPF passbook”.
PF Balance Check with UAN
You can now check the PF balance using your Universal Account number as well. It is because all the PF accounts held by one individual can now be managed under one entity i.e., UAN. The members no longer need the attestation or the verification of their past employers to make PF withdrawals or transfers and hence are quite relieved. The below mentioned steps can be used to check the PF balance:
- Log in on the EPF portal using credentials
- Click on “Activate your Login” and then tick on the check box “I have understood the instructions”
- Punch in the UAN allotted and then the authenticated mobile number.
- Enter the regional PF office code and captcha characters in the box
- Click “Submit”
- You will now receive a SMS containing your PF balance on your registered contact number.
- You can also download your PF passbook by clicking on “download EPF passbook”.
You would firstly need to register yourself in the member portal and enter the details as asked.
- To download the passbook from the member portal, punch in your PF number. You don’t need any password to login as you can easily login using the contact number and the KYC details.
- You will not receive an OTP on your registered contact number after which you can easily download the passbook. The passbook will be downloaded using the PF number and the OTP is sent for verification purpose.
- Please note – The passbook will show the contributions done by both – the employer and the employee but only for the last 7 months. Along with it, it will also show the total accumulated amount in the account.
To find the EPF balance on the UAN portal go to the official website of UAN portal – https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Enter in the 12-digit UAN number on the right hand side of the page along with the password and Captcha code.
- Click on “download passbook” on the homepage.
- A page will now open which shall show the PF balance in the account. The passbook will also display the contributions made by both – the employer and the employee along with the total accumulated amount in the account.
What are the various methods to check your EPF statement?
The statement of PF contains the entire record of transactions such as transfers, withdrawals, settlements, and so on. If you have UAN linked, you would then be able to find all the data of PF across all the organizations you have worked. All the transactions which are done per month and all dates etc. everything is included in this statement.
How can you check the Statement?
The EPF statement is available in the official website of EPFO. You can receive the statement only if you are contributing towards your PF. The only thing you need is PF number so that you can access your EPF statement online.
How can you download your statement online?
You can now download your e-passbook whenever you need it. You can download it as many times as you want. Though there is no hard copy of the statement you get from EPFO you can still download the statement online by making use of the recent e-passbook facility which is available on the website of EPFO. You need to get yourself registered with EPFO in order to get the statement. Also for registration you need the following details to enter:
- Date of birth
- Any of the KYC Documents which has your name and number clearly visible such as PAN, Voter ID, Passport and Driving License.
- Email id
- Mobile number
After registration you can easily download and view your statement online. Please note – this facility is available only to the active contributors only.
How can you check your EPF Balance with e-passbook online?
The EPFO has recently introduced e-passbook facility on the EPF portal which enables the members to keep a track of their EPF balance. The subscribers can now get the details of your PF status through EPF account passbook. You can download this e-passbook and no longer need to wait for the hard copy of the annual statement of PF from the EPFO. You can easily download the passbook by giving a few details such as name, PF Number, Establishment code etc. These details can easily be found on your Salary slip.
What are the features of e-passbook?
Some of the key features of the e-passbook are as under:
- This facility is available only for the active members.
- You can’t avail these e-passbooks for inoperative EPF accounts, negative balance in EPF accounts, or the EPF accounts which are settled already.
- You can avail an online passbook as it requires the members to register themselves first by providing some of the details.
How can you generate your e-passbook?
To generating your e-passbook, you can follow the below mentioned steps:
- Login to the official website of EPFO http://members.epfoservices.in
- Register yourself with the details as required.
- Don’t skip to mention the important information such as your date of birth and mobile number.
- You would also be required to add the details as required by the website.
- You can now click on “Get PIN” which would enable a SMS alert on your mobile number which you need to enter for authorization purpose
- You can enter the same now and login with the help of your document number or the mobile number.
- Now you can easily download your e-passbook.
- Select the PF office state, company code and enter your PF account number and Name.
- Now click and “Get PIN” which you receive on your mobile number.
- You may enter the same on the Link and receive your updated e-passbook after 3 working days.
How to check the UAN Passbook?
The UAN passbook is one such place where you can see all the transactions related to the PF withdrawal, deposit or transfer. Therefore it is a very crucial thing for the members and now they can download the UAN passbook through the UAN portal or the EPFO website. You can download your UAN Passbook with your UAN and the password. There are two methods which help the members to download their member passbook as mentioned below:
- You can now directly download your passbook from UAN member portal using your UAN & password from https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in.
- Just log in using your UAN & Password.
- Hit the Menu bar and go to view, and then on passbook. You can now download your UAN Card.
- Select the dates in order to view your EPF Statement and it will be displayed like the Monthly passbook or the Bank statement.
- The other direct link to download the passbook from EPFO India Passbook portal is epfindia.gov.in
- Go to “Our Services”and then Click on “Employees” and then Click on “Member Passbook”
- You would then be redirected to a new page – https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/Login.jsp
- Enter your UAN and password and Log in
- You will now be able to check your passbook.
How can the members download the UAN passbook?
If your UAN is activated, you can easily download your EPF passbook through the process mentioned below:
- The first step is to go to the UAN portal and activate UAN if you are a first time user.
- To activate the UAN, you need to provide your UAN number and registered mobile number.
- After this you have to set the password for the portal for the authentication purpose.
- Now you need login to the UAN portal with the help of UAN and the password which you selected in the earlier step.
- Enter the Unified Portal dashboard. And on this page, you would be able to see three options – 1. UAN passbook, 2. UAN CARD, Account Settings.
- Hit “UAN Passbook” to see the passbook and you would now have the option either to download or view the passbook.
- You can click on the Download option and save the UAN passbook for future reference.